Skip to main content

Preliminary Inventory of the Trinity Cathedral Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1993-00733A, etc.

Scope and Content Note

This collection houses building specifications, construction records, correspondence, financial records, minutes, mailings, programs, publications, photographs, and artifacts documenting Trinity Cathedral and the Episcopalian Church in Arizona. This collection has not been processed in full and can be viewed only by appointment. Contact Archives and Special Collections for more information.

Dates

  • Creation: 1866-2002

Language of Materials

Material in English

Access Restrictions

To view this collection, make an appointment at least five business days prior to your visit by contacting Ask an Archivist. Appointments in the Wurzburger Reading Room at Hayden Library (rm. 138) on the Tempe campus are available Tuesday through Thursday, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Check the ASU Library Hours page for current availability.

Copyright

The Arizona Board of Regents retains copyright to this collection for and on behalf of the Arizona State University Library. Requests to publish, display, or redistribute information from this collection must be submitted via our online application.

Historical Note

In 1886, the Rt. Rev. George Dunlop was installed as bishop of the Missionary Jurisdiction of Arizona and New Mexico and conducted the first Episcopal services in Phoenix. A brick church was erected across from the court house in the middle of town and services were inaugurated there on the first Sunday of 1889. In that year, a separate building was erected to house the various church guilds that the congregation had established during the previous three years and the mission was incorporated under the laws of the Territory of Arizona.

Under a new Bishop, the Missionary District of Arizona was established in 1892 and additional clergymen were added to its compliment. In 1908, the mission was elevated to the status of a parish. Trinity's congregation grew alongside the progress of the community and it quickly became apparent that more expansive facilities were needed. The guild hall was enlarged and a tuberculosis sanitarium was constructed in tent-top cabins in the nearby desert. In 1910, architects were engaged to produce plans for a new group of buildings. Thomas Marshall, Vice-President of the United States, delivered the keynote address at a cornerstone-laying ceremony for the first of these structures on October 31, 1915. The first service was held in the new building the following Christmas. A bishop's residence was completed in 1918 and the Cathedral was erected in 1920. Another dwelling for the Dean followed in 1925, a Dean's office suite in 1928, and a multi-purpose wing in 1930. During this time of expansion, Trinity also grew in membership and added a school, a formal choir, and additional staff.

In the mid-1980's, a program to restore this complex placed the parish in some financial difficulty. The bishop decided to reduce the parish's status, once again, to that of a mission in order to infuse it with revenues from diocesan sources. Some disappointed vestrymen filed a lawsuit seeking estoppel. This suit was dismissed on the grounds that, unlike American political institutions, Episcopal churches are not democratic. Trinity Cathedral continues to operate as a church and diocesan headquarters today.

Full extent

11 Box(es)

Full extent

12.75 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses building specifications, construction records, correspondence, financial records, minutes, mailings, programs, publications, photographs, and artifacts documenting Trinity Cathedral and the Episcopalian Church in Arizona. This collection has not been processed in full and can be viewed only by appointment. Contact Archives and Special Collections for more information.

Arrangement

This collection consists of ten boxes divided into four series:

  1. Series I: Accession #1993-00733A
  2. Series II: Accession #1994-01305
  3. Series III: Accession #1996-01764
  4. Series IV: Accession #2003-02699

Provenance

Frederick E. Huls, Nance Wabshaw, and Trinity Cathedral donated these records to the Arizona Collection between 1993 and 2003.

Related Materials

A guide to processed materials created by Trinity Cathedral is available at http://www.azarchivesonline.org/xtf/view?docId=ead/asu/trinity.xml.

Title
Preliminary Inventory of the Trinity Cathedral Records
Status
Completed
Date
2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding guide encoded in English.

Repository details

Part of the Greater Arizona Collection Repository

Contact

Arizona State University
P.O. Box 871006
Tempe AZ 85287-1006 United States
(480) 965-4932